The imposing fortification is located in Valletta and is named after St. Elmo, the patron saint of sailors. The first fortification was built in 1551. The fort during the Ottoman attack in 1565 was the scene of a fierce siege and bloody battles. Today the fort houses the National War Museum. The restoration involved the elevations and interior rooms of both the fortified walls and the various stone buildings within the walls. The restoration was characterized by recovery and conservation operations of the degraded stone material, as well as natural stone replacements of blocks whose level of preservation was so advanced that conservation was impossible. The work was carried out by a joint venture: the Forte JV EEIG, formed between Italian and Maltese companies namely Carron spa, Estia srl, and V.e C . Contractors Limited. Contractors Limited.